The PCO licence is compulsory if you want to be able to legally provide minicab services in the United Kingdom. The PCO licence also allows you to become a driver for ride hailing apps such as Uber, Bolt or Ola.
The PCO licence, also known as the Private Hire Driver Licence, is valid for 3 years and is issued by the PCO (Public Carriage Office) who are part of Transport for London (TfL).
Are You Eligible?
To be eligible for a PCO licence…
- You need to be at least 21 years old.
- You must’ve held a driving licence for 3 years.
- You must have a valid Criminal Record Check (DBS).
- You must complete a medical examination.
- You must complete a Topographical Skills Assessment.
- You must take an English Language Test.
How do you Apply
Applying for a PCO licence can seem complicated, and somewhat overwhelming, but in reality it is quite simple. You need to follow the below steps.
- Complete a criminal record check, this proves you are of ‘good character’ and shows you do not have any spent or unspent criminal convictions on your record. This can cost about £60.
- Pass your medical test, this will declare you medically fit according to DVLA Group 2 Standards. These tests will cover things such as reaction times and hearing tests.
- Pass your topographical skills assessment, this ensures you are able to use an A-Z guide to locate places and plan routes from one place to another. This certificate needs to be from an accredited test centre.
- Pass the English language test. This standard of English is not too difficult, it is equivalent to early secondary school, but you need to take the test with one of TfL’s approved test providers.
How can we Help?
If you have passed all tests, and have attained your PCO licence, we can help provide you with a PCO car, either through our PCO car hire or Rent 2 Buy programmes. There are many advantages to our PCO rental options including servicing, maintenance and MOT’s, fully comprehensive insurance and breakdown cover being included. If you need any more help arranging to rent a PCO car, get in touch